Saturday, September 10, 2011

Lula Magazine


One of the things that makes me so excited to finally have a Lula magazine in my posession is not the pretty editorials or interesting stories, but just the magazine itself. Sometimes I'm rather in love with the idea of things. The idea of Lula's magazine is one of those things I'm a bit in love with.
In an interview Dazed Digital called Lula very girl-crushy, "when you open a Lula everyone's a girl and everyone likes each other." Leigh Clark responded with, "I felt that fashion magazines are about women looking at women, but there seems to be this imaginary man in the room. It’s so sexualized. I don’t fully get that. I made a magazine of women looking at women, without that competitiveness and that hard edge that we think we need as we get older. I think it should be...trying less hard. Lula is about going back to why we liked fashion in the first place and that really starts when you’re a kid, with Halloween and ballet recitals. I was quite shy as a kid. I went to a strict ballet school and I worked well under that discipline, but when I had to perform and be free, that was hard. Then they gave me a bluebird costume, and I was fearless. I could do it. I learned really young how clothes can make you feel, how you can liberate yourself with them."

No comments:

Post a Comment